Mail Art News #93: Reminders of Mortality and Creativity, September 27, 2026
| incoming from K. Richardson (Arizona, USA) |
Incoming from Kassie Richardson in Arizona, USA. Opening the newspaper sparked a mail art storm of creativity. Inside the envelope, a tribute to the recently departed Tim Curry (1946-2026).
| incoming from K. Richardson (Arizona, USA) |
Prior to that I received an email from Serbian correspondent, Zorica Obradović with a request to help get a message to the intended recipient, Fulgor Silvi, who had departed the human form before the postcard could be mailed.
From Zorica Obradović:
"A friend's help. I am sharing with you a postcard meant for Fulgor Silvi. Briefly, the story goes like this.
I posted this drawing, along with many others, on an art platform under the title 'I can't wait for the sun to see your feet again.' Fulgor, who very rarely leaves impressions or comments on featured artworks, expressed his admiration and delight. I made a postcard with the intention of sending it to him by regular mail.
This was just before I left for my annual vacation, a journey. Thinking about my financial situation for the coming days, and since there was more mail ready to be sent, I decided to postpone it. I thought I would send it in a month, when I returned from my travels.
Upon my return, the news echoed that Fulgor had passed away, into the heavenly kingdom, perhaps some other cosmic soup... or... something largely unknown, yet so heavily forced upon us earthlings.
Months have passed since then... I wouldn't feel fulfilled if I didn't solve this equation in a proper way, if I just threw it into the trash like so many other objects. If you don't think it's inappropriate, I would love it if you had an idea on how to weave it into the eternal web.
Perhaps I am actually talking to myself. Perhaps I want to cover up my wrong decision, to trick my mind... and feelings... or maybe it is just a discord with accepting the life cycle and its episodes.
Important note: A printed copy and the original postcard will be sent by mail to Ryosuke Cohen, while a copy of the text along with scanned photos of the postcard will be emailed to Mail Art News."
Here is one of many goodbyes to Fulgor S. on Facebook
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There's a mail order gargoyle on my bookshelf, inspired by the work of a Medieval stone mason in Europe centuries ago. I think I ordered it in the late 1980s / early 1990s from Design Toscano. Yes this was before the internet and e-commerce. Everything was in a store or in a catalog. This is one of the goals of a creative person: to inspire something in others, either right now, but centuries later is fine too.
And now a pinch of recommended listening, it's Milk Rock from proto-Kraftwerk band, Organisation.
Let me show you some outgoing mail arts:
As seen on IUOMA:
Poetry by Bruno Cassaglia:
spread moonlight over my buttered soul… I extinguish the night that devours
the incomplete blue of the sea…
I would like to weigh the sky
above Paris
- - - - - - - -
From Catherine Mahoney:
"Hi, I just found out that you posted a piece of my mail art and I want to say thank you! I'm happy to see it out in the world somewhere and also happy to know about your blog/site. Anyway, would love to send you something (not pandering for future inclusion, promise!) if you would send me your address or direct me in how to find you on IUOMA. Best wishes."
And now, get out there and live! I'm going to send some art to some people by mail now. See you next time. Don't forget to use Mail Art News as an opportunity to shamelessly self-promote!
WANT ADS
Seeking hypothetical university students to work on a project. As Serbian correspondent, Zorica O., states: "The content of your blog MUST be preserved in a printed edition."
I don't know about all the copyrights and copywrongs. I wouldn't be intending to make a profit from the project either. Who knows of such things? Contact: mailartnews@gmail.com

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting.