Mail Art News # 83: 10-10-2024

 J. Matevish, 2015 cut to ATC size from 1995/1996 30" x 22" original


I am really happy to receive the above ATC from Julie Matevish. Why? I don't know...it looks like something I might make if I sat down and received the instructions to do so from some invisible muse. The style speaks one of my languages. The card was # 9 of 64 cuts from the larger original. You can see a low resolution scan of the original below, which Julie was kind enough to print and mail to upon request. To locate the original high resolution scan would require some real searching on Julie's part, and that's too much to ask. Also below is a digital collage I made, using the print of the original as a background (with colors altered). The text is a reminder to anyone about all of the experiences, "good" and / or "bad" that they've been through, are going through now, and could possibly go through in the future. 

Also included is a US postage stamp of famous slave owner Johns Hopkins. 


 

incoming from J. Matevish


incoming from J. Matevish


digital collage by t. brown, with altered background image from J. Matevish



The envelope from nonlocal variable with Celebrate Imperialist Fascism artistamp showed up on a rainy day and the new neighbor, who appears to have a habit of not picking up the mail from the floor, is also suspected of stepping on the envelope and leaving a shoe print, traces of which you may be able to see on this detail of the envelope. 

Totalitarianism is the more accurate scare word for today's USA, but ooops I don't want to get too far into politics here. Overtly political mail art, so full of passion and full of hope that others will agree 100% with the specifics of the message, tend to get on my nerves. Art in general and mail art may from time to time include blatant political messaging, but I'm more here for the ideas, the imaginativeness. 

As a different example, receiving mail art from someone in another country instructing me to vote for their preferred candidate in the upcoming US presidential election is strange. I'm done with voting for now. I don't believe in it currently. I could say so much more. I typed more, but then erased it. This is a general mail art blog, not heavy on the politics.


incoming from nonlocal variable



incoming from nonlocal variable



If the AI art is done well, I don't mind seeing it online or in the mail. I don't want to see deformed computer-generated people or animals or other objects / scenes...unless it's done artfully. AI is a tool. If used smartly, the result can be useful, though AI is already causing problems for human perception with things like AI generated voices, fake photos and videos, and the real potential for run-away algorithms. Can you imagine having an AI chatbot for a boss one day?...or as the President of the US? The worst case scenario is a world where AI has eliminated all humans. Some scary possibilities, but so far I've seen (and made) some very interesting art using AI.


 

incoming from J. Hackney



Question for the slogan in the above image: "What if the books themselves contain evil messaging?"

Thoughts on the quote below: It's human nature to want control over those things...things that are beyond the power of our will, but then you might come back to the serenity prayer: 

Space Lords and Space Ladies, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can [for better], and the wisdom to know the difference.



incoming from J. Hackney



Is there any fan fiction out there about Richard Canard? I hope there is. 

incoming from R. Canard



incoming from Katerina Nikoltsou



Adamandia Kapsalis, fabric collage heading to NY. Seen on Facebook



mail art fashion, video from Instagram



posted by Diana Hale on Instagram




t. brown, outgoing, October 2024



t. brown, outgoing, October 2024



Virtual Artist Talk: Miranda July on Mail Art


And finally, sadly, you just don't see this type of "insane rambling" in today's mail art community. Was the man really this nutso in real life? Doubtful. This was probably a postal persona to come across as more creative and crazy. I never met the man though, so my mail artist diagnosis is mere speculation. I do see an obituary for a Professor Richard Olson in Baltimore, but there's no way for me to tell if this was the same person. Maybe someone from the 1980s mail art scene has a photo of him. 


1982 letter from Richard Olson, collection of Lomholt Mail Art Archive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mail Art News # 67: Jimmy Hackney

Mail Art News # 68: FEB 22, 2024

Mail Art News #62: January 1, 2024