Mail Art News #40: I Want

Sunshinysam on IUOMA


I'm just a one man operation, so I can't cover all the posts made by all the mail artists. I can however make note of the things that grab my attention the most. Occasionally people send me links and factoids. Per nonlocal variable, there exists an archives of the copy-culture publication known as Photostatic (1983-1998). Definitely worth a look. 



Diana Hale has a perforator. Adam R. has a Wizbang perforator, a gift from Michelangelo Mayo. 

Questing for a perforation machine...there are some leads. There's a nice looking, heavy duty one made in India, but attempts to land on a page where one could order the item has resulted in a slew of disorienting incoming emails. Shipping costs could be prohibitive.

Then there's word from Heather Wilkie in the Mail Art News group on IUOMA that a person on etsy is selling small scale perforators. The seller offers two or three different sizes, plus a circle-shape perforator. Very interesting! Kind of pricey, but could meet my needs as an infrequent creator of artistamps. Will keep it on the radar.


My car needs a new serpentine belt, so it's in the repair shop. On my walk home, I found a free lazy-Susan. There are some benefits to living in the city. Very soon, I'm going to rubber stamp the following onto the bumper of my car. Hopefully this revolutionary reminder will encourage more civility. Also planning to send some out as post cards. 

T. Brown, rubber stamped post card

I think later today, there's a meeting of the secret mail art society called ZMAG, which stands for Zoom Mail Art Group. I learned about it only recently. Learn more about them here. There may or may not be an initiation ritual. 



I tend to get obsessive. I am resisting the impulse buy, for now. Look at these designed by Cascadia Artpost and documented by William M on IUOMA. Ticket! Ticket! it's called. There's also a new Braincell out, but I think there are too many addresses on there for me to post to the internet. I'm not going to blur them all. Some people prefer not to have their addresses shared to the internet, unless they have a PO Box. Is a PO Box required for the attainment of the Mail Art Grandmaster title?




I go through periods of chess obsession. I am not interested in chess much at all right now. Even if I don't currently have what it takes for top level chess performance, I can apply some of the things I've learned from the game. The top players are called grandmasters. The top mail artists could also be called grandmasters, even if only for fun. What does it take to become a Grandmaster of Mail Art?

  • ongoing ability to obtain postage stamps and envelopes
  • ability to make rubber stamps (yourself or commissioned from a custom rubber stamp company)
  • ability to design and perforate artistamps
  • prolific creative abilities...you are able to create on a regular basis

You'll notice I did not say anything about the ability to get caught up on your outgoing mail. No one can do that. Or at least no one can sustain that. What else would you add to this list?

Pam C almost got caught-up. 


I did manage to send out a few recently. This one landed in Japan. Thank you Tomoe N for documenting! 


Only one incoming. Thanks Erica Durante. I'm including the original and my additions. 



My vehicle is ready. Time to walk back over to the car fix-it shop and then go grocery shopping, so I can keep the mail art machines running. Thanks for reading. Feel free to send me an email (or post card). 

Comments

  1. AWESOME edition. I wish I could figure out how to "subscribe" so I don't have to depend on my "lurking" to see when this comes out. I really appreciate your effort of documenting and recording mail art history at this moment in time. Kudos a plenty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thank you for reading and commenting! Hmm...looking into it...I guess there's no subscribe option with Blogger? I've been posting on Wednesdays or Thursdays weekly if that helps any.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing about that small perforator. It's a bit pricey, but I think it would be perfect for my small needs. Although if I could get my hands on that large metal one from India without spending a pint of blood, that would be wonderful. I'm keeping my eyes open. It's a treasure hunt!
    I didn't know about ZMAG, I may check that out. Coco Muchmore had a Zoom this past Sunday. I enjoyed it. She said she's going to have more, so if anyone is interested you can check with her about it.
    Hey, thanks for shouting out my YouTube!
    Great post as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who all uses the perforators to justify the factory making them. Maybe low tech post offices in other countries? Thanks. I think there's a ZMAG meeting tonight at 7:30pm so I will try to attend.

      Delete
  3. Um... I'm in an embarrassment of riches over here. The founder of the company that I work for was a mail artist way back and has brought his perforating machine to reside permanently in the building I get paid to stay in roughly 40 hours a week... and of course generously showed me how not to break it. So if any of you want to mail me sheets or email me files (there's an amazing xerox machine there as well) I would ask only for a toll of a page to keep for the labor. I have no idea how I became such a lucky person but it seems only right to pay the universe back by sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow!! I'm VERY interested in perforating help with my artistamp sheets! coco_muchmore@yahoo.com

      Delete
    2. That's Sarah Roe on IUOMA I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

Popular posts from this blog

Mail Art News #45: An Overview of Cascadia Artpost

Mail Art News # 67: Jimmy Hackney