Mail Art News #36: Just Your Standard Mail Art News

 
incoming from Mark Johnson, a reproduction
from The Science Fair Story, 1979


✉        πŸ–Ό        

πŸ–Š

              πŸ“°    

We may indeed, some day, have some kind of satellite "mail" and maybe some kind of electronic mail that travels over a maze of wires, but until that day comes, I'm sticking with good old-fashioned paper mail. Of course, there's also a mail network that exists within each life form, with messages traveling in different directions, at various speeds in the mind / body. Indeed, part of communicating is to get a better picture of the trajectories of human energies, for the benefit of one or more of the parties involved. 

In April 2023, I was asking on Facebook "How many different eyes do you need to see one person?" By that, I was wondering how to see all the parts of a person, all of the facets. The next step in the development of that idea is to ask: How do interactions with others alter the trajectories of energies in the mind, body, and in society? Where are they sending me? Where am I sending them? It's kind of a deep, all-encompassing topic, so  I will leave it there for now. It's just something that has been brewing at the Brown Mega Corporation Art Labs, since we are living in a time (World War where our minds are battlegrounds, warzones, subject to unprecedented levels of Information Age manipulation attempts, so I am keeping you, my investors and customers, updated. 

T. Brown, circa 2016

Back to the topic of mail and mail art: Looking at US postage stamps over the last several years, I get the feeling that they lack imagination compared to the stamps of yesteryear. There are some exceptions, but for the most part US postage stamps have become dreadfully dull and I'm sick of it. You can go on ebay and buy a lot of unused postage stamps from previous years. I might try that, but I'd rather just buy the new ones. The mountain flora ones are nice, but are they discontinued now? 

Maybe temporarily unavailable or maybe I bought the last two books. It would be tremendous if mail artists could work together to get the USPS to release a series of mail art related postage stamps, featuring some notable artworks from the community. That's a pie-in-the-sky pipe dream for now, though. 

- - -

I did send an email to the USPS Office of Public Relations, asking them if they would like to comment on the phenomenon of mail art. You can see my email and their response below. They also suggested that I contact the Smithsonian National Postal Museum, which I did. Response is pending. They also have a blog that looks interesting. 


T. Brown to USPS: 

"I am writing to you because I am looking for a way to discuss the topic of mail art, also known as correspondence art, with someone at the USPS. 

 

What is the USPS' opinion on people decorating envelopes and postcards? This could involve rubber stamped images, collages, text art, or artistamps (a postage stamp-like art form used to depict or commemorate any subject its creator chooses). 

 

Do postal carriers on their routes generally enjoy delivering it? Are there guidelines specifically that apply to these types of postal activities? 

 

I would like to include your answers, and any other topics you would like to discuss in a future blog post. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response. My readers would enjoy seeing what you have to say."



USPS response: 

"Thanks for reaching out. Greatly appreciate your interest in the work we do here at the U.S. Postal Service.


Decorated envelopes, also known as First Day Covers, are often produced and sold in conjunction with the issuance of new postage stamps – including by USPS.

 

Postal Mailing requirements include blank spaces for the address, postage, and when required, the return address. These can be found in DMM 102 https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/102.htm and other physical standards are in DMM 101. Commercial mail falls under DMM 201 and 202. 

 

And on background for you, for your other requests and comments you might find helpful, want to suggest that you might reach out to the Smithsonian Postal Museum. Contact information is at https://postalmuseum.si.edu/contact-usI hope this helps with your blog."



- - -



It's no laughing matter. Mail Art News is comic strip deficient and needs a funny papers section. I got the idea after joining Rebekka Schmidt's new group Comics in mailart. What's funny about mail art though? This will have to do for now: 


From Dexter Cockburn to Shad Daly (found on internet)

I'm still inching my way towards mailing Antarctica or some remote island in the Atlantic or the Pacific. Or perhaps somewhere within the Arctic Circle. If you have suggestions, let me know. 


✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉


The Internet at Large

Two Austin Chronicle articles from 2001:

✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ 


YouTube

A 5-Minute Hour creates mail art related videos. 



- - -


If you're a fan of Ghost Town Living, you can send mail to the owner and currently the only permanent resident: Brent Underwood c/o Cerro Gordo Mines PO Box 490. Lone Pine, CA 93545. The Cerro Gordo mines fueled the growth of Los Angeles in the 1800s and1900s. 

While bringing an antique Brunswick bar from Texas back to the American Hotel at Cerro Gordo, Brent visited an isolated town in New Mexico. The "mayor" of this town has requested that people send him mail. Why not send him some mail art?  Send to: His Honor the Mayor of Golden, Leroy Gonzales: 1720 Highway 14 North, Golden New Mexico, 87047.





✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ 


Instagram

Destroyed AI Art, a series made with midjourneyai, photoshopexpress, and destroypix by rustynyazdanpour of the online collective, Gnar Beige. I requested him to email them to me so I could print them up as photos for mailing, but the photo printing machine at the local FedEx Kinkos was no longer there, so I printed them up on computer paper size. I may turn them into envelopes. Then I moved onto Stannp.com to send myself and nonlocal variable a postcard print of the second image. Those are pending. 




✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ 


Facebook

Mail Art Worldwide is always worth a visit. 


- - -


And look at this (also on Facebook) by Serse Luigetti? Ah, nice. 

✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ 


IUOMA


"I just had a conversation with the mail man. 

As some of you know, I'm moving the 30th of this month (May) to a different apartment within the same building.  A few people already started using the new apartment number, so this morning I left a note on the mailbox for the mailman.  In the note I let him know I'm moving from apt 25 to apt 1, and I have some mail coming addressed to apt 1.  I asked him not to return it, and let him know the people have already moved out of apt 1.

This afternoon he buzzed my apartment, so I went down.  He wanted to let me know he got my note.  Then he asked me about mail art.  He said he enjoyed looking at the decorated envelopes I receive from all over the world, and he was curious about it so he looked it up online.  He really did his research because everything I told him about he was familiar with.  He only had a couple of basic questions which weren't really questions but more confirmation.  I told him IUOMA is a great place to start because there are so many mail artists on here.

He seemed excited about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if he joins.  This interaction made me so happy!  There's not too many people in my off line life that 'get it', so I fully enjoyed this conversation.
Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you.  It totally made my day!"


✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ 


Incoming

From A. Roussopoulos (colored by T. Brown)


- - -





"Don't blur out or cover my address when posting!" says Richard Baudet


- - -



also from Mark Johnson [Where are you on social media? Can't find ya.]


- - -




from Stan Askew 

Planet 8 calls out to be turned into a sci-fi micro-fiction. Then, all of the facial expression stickers on the postcard...maybe it looks silly at first, but then after some consideration, I think "ah...is this what I do when looking at someone or something?...apply a bunch of emoticon stickers in my mind to whatever I'm looking at? Constantly critiquing life. Maybe. 


- - -





Tons of fun from nonlocal variable.


- - -



from Karen Champlin


✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ 
 
 
Outgoing

Lyric from Bill Callahan's "America" (2011)


- - -



While so many people were demanding more stupidity and lower and lower IQs from each other and from the government and the media, one man...err...one Zerthling, who happened to be an exchange citizen from planet Zerth, stood up for higher intelligence and more smartness.


✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉


Random from the Archives


from Angie, date unknown

Looks like a thylacine, also known as the Tasmanian tiger. Good composition. I was just watching something about thylacines a month or two ago. They may still be alive on the Australian mainland. No solid proof yet. 

✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉


Reader Mail

Nonlocal variable clued me in the origin of some name-images, known as mailograms, I'd seen around the network. They're made by Keith Bates. You can see more at keithbates.co.uk



✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉


🎬 πŸ“½ 🎞 

Movies

Due to the ongoing writer strike, I asked ChatGPT to do a movie write-up for me and while the part about the villainous businessman could be removed, overall this would make an interesting picture. I would watch it. The prompt and synopsis are below. 


T. Brown prompt to ChatGPT: I want a movie synopsis for a movie called "Mail Art, The Movie". One of the characters is named Robert Stamper. This movie will glamorize the mail art lifestyle. It will contain elements of comedy, romance, drama, science fiction, and travel. It will take place mainly in the USA, but there will be scenes in other countries. Could you write a synopsis based on that?


ChatGPT
Title: "Mail Art, The Movie"
Genre: Comedy/Romance/Drama/Science Fiction/Travel

"Mail Art, The Movie" takes audiences on a whimsical journey into the fascinating and vibrant world of mail art. At its heart is Robert Stamper, a quirky and imaginative artist who finds inspiration and connection through the unconventional medium of mail.

Robert Stamper, a lovable dreamer and mail art enthusiast, lives a mundane life in a small town in the heartland of the USA. Frustrated with the monotony of his existence, he stumbles upon an international mail art exhibition and is captivated by the creativity and freedom it represents.

Inspired by the possibilities, Robert decides to embark on an extraordinary adventure to promote and glamorize the mail art lifestyle. Armed with a stack of self-designed postcards and a head full of ideas, he sets off on a cross-country road trip, visiting quirky post offices, eccentric artists, and mail art enthusiasts along the way.

As Robert's journey unfolds, he encounters a colorful cast of characters who share his passion for mail art. Along the route, he befriends an enigmatic French artist who believes in the power of love letters, a tech-savvy scientist who incorporates futuristic technology into mail art, and a free-spirited travel blogger who documents their unique escapades.

Amidst the laughter and camaraderie, Robert discovers romance when he meets Emma, a witty and charming fellow mail artist who joins him on his quest. Their shared passion ignites a deep connection, and together they challenge the boundaries of creativity and expression.

However, not everyone embraces the joyous and liberating spirit of mail art. Stodgy businessman, Mr. Craymore, sees it as a threat to tradition and attempts to thwart Robert's mission. His relentless pursuit adds a dramatic twist to the story, forcing Robert and his newfound friends to rally together to defend the art form they hold dear.

As Robert's journey takes him to various countries, including France, Japan, and Brazil, the film showcases the diverse cultures and art communities that thrive through the international exchange of mail art. Each destination brings its own unique charm, pushing the boundaries of creativity and encouraging viewers to embrace the beauty of human connection through the written word.
"Mail Art, The Movie" is a heartwarming and visually stunning exploration of the power of art, love, and human connection. Through humor, romance, drama, and elements of science fiction, it celebrates the transformative nature of mail art and invites audiences to embrace their own creative spirit, one postcard at a time.


✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉ ✉


Thank you for reading and thank you for sending me mail art. Let's continue manipulating each other in subtle and / or obvious ways, using words and pictures. I am 100% sure that ultimately, it's for someone's benefit.  Also, it you sent me this gold foil replica postage stamp, thank you! I didn't know these existed. Very fun. My incoming mail art got mixed up due to the fact that we're re-arranging the Mail Art News office. Piles were shifted from here to there. 




Comments

  1. I agree with you about most postage stamps being boring. I spend way too much time trying to decide when I'm ordering stamps. It looks like there's a lot of choices, but not to me since I'm not thrilled with most of them. I try to stock up on Halloween stamps.

    I got the impression the USPS person who replied to you thought you were talking about their decorated envelopes, not envelopes decorated by the sender.

    Thank you for posting my close encounter with the mail art kind. You're keeping me relevant. lol My current project will be heading your way soon.

    Here's a suggestion for a remote island to send some mail art to. https://iuoma-network.ning.com/events/a-island-far-far-away-tristan-da-chuna-project

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

Popular posts from this blog

Mail Art News #45: An Overview of Cascadia Artpost

Mail Art News #33: Pam Chatfield's Whimsical Surrealism

Mail Art News # 67: Jimmy Hackney