Mail Art News #26: Journey to the Mail Art Dimension

 

reader mail from Mick Boyle


"Long Live Mail Art News!" I can't argue with you there. 

I resume my trip into the Mail Art Dimension, that strange and lovely parallel reality, to seek out interesting finds.  What will I find? Will I find myself? Will I find you, mail art friends?


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -






marbled mail art by Dystatic from Canada posted by Sabela Baña on April 27, 2023


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whether it's trippy in the psychedelic sense, or a trip from Japan to Serbia, Mail Art News wants to know. Maybe it's a crowdsourced online trip to every post office in the US. 

From Kiki in Japan: 

"Hello!

I travelled to Serbia, Europe, for two weeks in April 2023 and I met a fellow mail artist, Predrag, who is also on IUOMA, in person. We made collage cards and drawings together. Such a fabulous time!! I hope to visit Serbia again :-)

If any of you visits Osaka City, Japan, hopefully on the weekends, I would be happy to meet you in person :-) "  



collab between Kiki and Predrag


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


PMCC Post Office Photos on Flickr has added 32,650 Photos of post offices, since 2013.




- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Technologist, Anna Graham, using the new mail art viewing goggles


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Incoming from Mick Boyle. Maybe you noticed the subtle Vietnam references. I was just talking with a co-worker the other day about Vietnam, from the angle of table top gaming. Theories of having been killed in the Vietnam War and reincarnated as my current self aside, I was born in the post-war period, so I absorbed many cultural references growing up. The topic lingers. Somehow the Vietnamese people and many US soldiers went through a complete hell and now Vietnam is an industrial colony of the US. What else can one say on the topic without immediately getting political and conspiracy theoretical? And politics is not the main goal here at Mail Art News. The main goal is promotion of mail art and mail artists, but you see how a piece of art showing up in your mail box can send you on a bit of a trip?





- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


What else? Ah yes. I've sent one post card to Mick Boyle using the Stannp.com service. We'll see if it's any good. Let me know, Mick!  This could be used in the future to send out post card editions of Mail Art News or at least as promotional material. 




- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


And then three works of literature. The first from Coco Muchmore, a book of interviews by IUOMA founder Ruud Janssen. The second from the Enoch Pratt Free Library. The third from nonlocal variable. Thanks all. 







- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



Jon Foster Speaks on Mail Art
See more on Jon Foster's blog
"There's a lot of shit in there." -J.F.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Ken B. Miller - New Symmetries


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for sharing your mail art memories and experiences. And thank you everyone for documenting the mail you send and receive. You are creating and shaping the Mail Art Dimension. 

And that's about it. And that's quite a bit. See youuuuuu next time! And see you in the mail. And see you in the funny papers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mail Art News #45: An Overview of Cascadia Artpost

Mail Art News # 67: Jimmy Hackney

Mail Art News #40: I Want